- Award/Classification: Nurses and Midwives (Tasmanian State Service) Award/Registered Nurse, Grade 3-4
- Employment Type: Part Time
- Region: North West
About the organisation
If you would like to work in a mental health environment where:
- prevention is everybody's business
- we are building regional and other partnerships for health
- we are building a sustainable health workforce
Then Spencer Clinic wants you!
Spencer Clinic Inpatient Unit is sited within the THS North West, Burnie Campus. We are a 19 Bed Acute Mental Health Unit which includes 3 High Care beds.
Burnie is in located the North West region of Tasmania and the gateway to some of Tasmania’s most beautiful natural places and you are never far away from spectacular coastline or towering wilderness. Tasmania offers an affordable lifestyle with fantastic properties in idyllic locations at a fraction of the cost compared to Australia’s capital cities. You are close to everything and the drive home from work is over in a few minutes, so you have a better work life balance – traffic jam is not a common term in Tasmania. Find out more about our beautiful state here: https://tasmanian.com.au/
You will be privileged to walk alongside our consumers, their friends and families in their recovery journey. Nurses working in mental health describe a real sense of ‘making a difference’ in their day to day work. No two days are the same in mental health. Some days may be structured with planned appointments or 1:1 time, others may involve responding to an emergency and thinking on your feet. We’ll make sure you’re fully inducted and welcomed into our team.
Benefits of working with Department of Health/Mental Health
- Work as part of a well-supported team that cares for all patient complexities
- Ability to quickly escape to a rural or beachside setting
- Opportunities to develop your skills and knowledge in Mental health nursing.
As part of a multidisciplinary team delivering high quality mental health services in accordance with the Statewide Mental Health Services Strategic Plan, Mental Health Service principles, National Mental Health Standards, Agency policy, legal requirements and relevant professional competencies, the Registered Nurse will:
- Undertake the delivery of nursing care to consumers based on best practice principles, person centred, recovery orientated and trauma informed care, within a collaborative and multi-disciplinary framework.
- Provide care to all consumers of the service, which includes comprehensive biopsychosocial assessments, active, therapeutic engagement, monitoring and review of mental state and response to treatments, ongoing psychotherapeutic work using arrange of modalities and techniques, within a Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT).
- Participate in the development and revision of organisational documentation and policies and procedures relating to nursing based best practice and the model of care.
About the role
- With a focus on engagement, work in collaboration with the consumers, their family, or carers, to plan, implement and evaluate nursing care that is evidence based, person centred, and trauma informed.
- Function as an active member of the MDT to provide care to all consumers of the service, which includes biopsychosocial assessments, active, therapeutic engagement, monitoring and review of mental state and response to treatments, and updates to the care plan in consultation with the individual consumer, their carers and the MDT.
- As a member of the service, evaluate the effectiveness of nursing strategies in meeting anticipated patient outcomes and participate in the development and revision of organisational documentation, policies and procedures relating to nursing based best practice and the model of care for the service.
- Complete all required clinical documentation, including assessments, risk assessment, transfer of care, relevant clinical correspondence, and clinical data collection, within specified timeframes, predominantly via electronic consumer records systems.
Note: Please refer to the Statement of Duties for all the selection criteria of this position to address in your application.
Details of appointment
Fixed term, part time, shift work (fully rotational) position working 40 hours per fortnight commencing from as soon as possible until 14 April 2023.
*notwithstanding hours may be negotiated with the successful applicant
Applicants should note that, for a period of six months from the date of publication, this selection process may be used to fill subsequent or similar part time vacancies.
- Spencer Clinic Inpatient Unit
- Mental Health Services – North West Tasmania
- Learn more about our beautiful state
Base Salary: $67,982 to $93,964 per annum + 10.5% superannuation
- Access to the Grade 4 salary range $87,970 - $93,964 is subject to successful application for progression to Grade 4
- Salary range is in accordance with Nurses and Midwives (Tasmanian State Service Agreement) 2019
In addition, the following allowances calculated on the salaried incremental point may be available:
- Post Graduate Allowance of up to 7.5% based on qualification type
- Professional Development Allowance of up to $750 per annum
Successful applicants will be required to meet the essential criteria:
- Registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia as a Registered Nurse
- Current Driver’s Licence (only applicable where the occupant is required to provide services to community-based clients)
Applicants should note the following criteria are desirable:
- Possess or be working towards a specialist tertiary graduate or post graduate mental health/psychiatric nursing qualification, or completed prior to the transfer of nurse education to the tertiary sector, a hospital based training program that resulted in previous registration as a psychiatric nurse by the relevant nurse registration authority within Australia
The Head of the State Service has determined that the person nominated for this job is to satisfy a pre employment check before taking up the appointment, on promotion or transfer. The following checks are to be conducted:
- Conviction checks in the following areas:
a. crimes of violence
b. sex related offences
c. serious drug offences
d. crimes involving dishonesty
- Identification check
- Disciplinary action in previous employment check.
Download the Statement of Duties and associated documents
We encourage you to review the Applicant Guide and Statement of Duties, prior to applying for an overview of the duties, program, selection process and selection criteria.
- Generic Registered Nurse - Mental Health G3-4 (July 2022) HR22 (5).pdf
- Generic Registered Nurse - Mental Health G3-4 (July 2022) HR22 (5).docx
- Department of Health - Applicant Guide June 22.pdf
- Department of Health - Applicant Guide June 22.docx
How to Apply
- Apply Online. Please click the blue "Apply now" button on this screen. This ensures important questions about you are answered.
- You will be prompted to complete a 1-2 page application detailing your experience, skills and knowledge as they relate to the attached Statement of Duties.
- We do not require a separate statement addressing the selection criteria in the Statement of Duties.
- All attachments must be in Microsoft Word or PDF format.
- Referee details are submitted as part of the online application so make sure you have the contact details of two referees before applying.
The email account you provide when submitting job applications will be used in correspondence to you. It is important that this is kept up to date and monitored regularly.
To update your email address (or contact number), log in to www.jobs.tas.gov.au and look for “Existing applicant login” where you can update your details.
The Department of Health values workforce diversity and recognises the value each person offers which is shaped by their unique characteristics, background, experiences, knowledge, skills, values and perspectives.
Close date: 2 October 2022
Point of contact:
0458 284 996
Job Ad Reference: 502795