Post Graduate Nurse Rotation Mental Health
- Award/Classification: Nurses and Midwives (Tasmanian State Service) Award/Registered Nurse, Grade 3-4
- Employment Type: Part Time
- Region: North West
Eligibility of position - Enrolment in a post-graduate mental health nursing course or Acceptance as a student in the relevant diploma or certificate program.
About the organisation
Spencer Clinic Inpatient Unit is sited within the THS North West, Burnie Campus. We are a 19 Bed Acute Mental Health Unit which includes 3 High Care beds.
Burnie is in located the North West region of Tasmania and the gateway to some of Tasmania’s most beautiful natural places and you are never far away from spectacular coastline or towering wilderness. Tasmania offers an affordable lifestyle with fantastic properties in idyllic locations at a fraction of the cost compared to Australia’s capital cities. You are close to everything and the drive home from work is over in a few minutes, so you have a better work life balance – traffic jam is not a common term in Tasmania.
Find out more about our beautiful state.
You will be privileged to walk alongside our consumers, their friends and families in their recovery journey. Nurses working in mental health describe a real sense of ‘making a difference’ in their day to day work. No two days are the same in mental health. Some days may be structured with planned appointments or 1:1 time, others may involve responding to an emergency and thinking on your feet. We’ll make sure you’re fully inducted and welcomed into our team.
Benefits of working with Department of Health/Mental Heath
- Work as part of a dynamic well-supported team that cares for all patient complexities
- Ability to quickly escape to a rural or beachside setting
- Opportunities to develop your skills and knowledge in Mental health nursing.
In accordance with Primary Health Care Principles, National Standards, Agency Directions, policies, legal requirements, and professional competencies the Registered Nurse will:
- Utilise a problem solving approach and established nursing procedures in the delivery of direct nursing care.
- Collaborate with other members of the health care team to ensure the delivery and evaluation of nursing care.
- Complete the Graduate Diploma in Advanced Nursing (Mental Health/Psychiatric Nursing).
About the role
- Provide nursing care within the scope of practice for a registered nurse and a beginning practitioner in Mental Health Nursing.
- In collaboration with the multidisciplinary team provide clinical case management to a designated number of clients.
- Using a primary health care focus, plan, implement, and evaluate nursing care in conjunction with the client/patient /resident, family and other members of the health care team.
- Utilise Australian and New Zealand College of Mental Health Nursing (ANZCMHN) inc. Standards for Mental Health Nursing as a guide for clinical practice in Mental Health settings.
Note: Please refer to the Statement of Duties for all the selection criteria of this position to address in your application.
Details of appointment
Fixed term, part time, shift work, position working 40 hours per fortnight, commencing from and soon as possible until 30 June 2024.
*notwithstanding hours may be negotiated with the successful applicant
Applicants should note that, for a period of six months from the date of publication, this selection process may be used to fill subsequent or similar full time and part time vacancies.
- Spencer Clinic Inpatient Unit - Mental Health Services – North West
Base Salary: $67,982 to $93,964 per annum + 10.5% superannuation
- Access to the Grade 4 salary range $87,970 - $93,964 is subject to successful application for progression to Grade 4
- Salary range is in accordance with Nurses and Midwives (Tasmanian State Service Agreement) 2019
In addition, the following allowances calculated on the salaried incremental point may be available:
- Post Graduate Allowance of up to 7.5% based on qualification type
- Professional Development Allowance of up to $750 per annum
Successful applicants will be required to meet the essential criteria:
- Registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia as a Registered Nurse
- Enrolment in a post-graduate mental health nursing course
- Acceptance as a student in the relevant diploma or certificate program
The Head of the State Service has determined that the person nominated for this job is to satisfy a pre employment check before taking up the appointment, on promotion or transfer. The following checks are to be conducted:
- Conviction checks in the following areas:
a. crimes of violence
b. sex related offences
c. serious drug offences
d. crimes involving dishonesty
- Identification check
- Disciplinary action in previous employment check.
Download the Statement of Duties and associated documents
We encourage you to review the Applicant Guide and Statement of Duties, prior to applying for an overview of the duties, program, selection process and selection criteria.
- Generic Post Graduate Nurse Rotation Mental Health (NW) G3-4 (November 2021) HR (1).pdf
- Generic Post Graduate Nurse Rotation Mental Health (NW) G3-4 (November 2021) HR (2).docx
- Department of Health - Applicant Guide June 22.pdf
- Department of Health - Applicant Guide June 22.docx
How to Apply
- Apply Online. Please click the blue "Apply now" button on this screen. This ensures important questions about you are answered.
- You will be prompted to complete a 1-2 page application detailing your experience, skills and knowledge as they relate to the attached Statement of Duties.
- We do not require a separate statement addressing the selection criteria in the Statement of Duties.
- All attachments must be in Microsoft Word or PDF format.
- Referee details are submitted as part of the online application so make sure you have the contact details of two referees before applying.
The email account you provide when submitting job applications will be used in correspondence to you. It is important that this is kept up to date and monitored regularly.
To update your email address (or contact number), log in to www.jobs.tas.gov.au and look for “Existing applicant login” where you can update your details.
The Department of Health values workforce diversity and recognises the value each person offers which is shaped by their unique characteristics, background, experiences, knowledge, skills, values and perspectives.
Close date: 2 October 2022
Point of contact:
0458 284 996
Job Ad Reference: 503167