The ACMHN Credential is the nationally consistent standard for recognition of specialist mental health nurses. All applications for credentialing are submitted online through the Credentialing for Nurses portal. Applications are processed by the Australian College of Mental Health Nurses and peer reviewed by a Credentialed Mental Health Nurse.
Applying for credentialing
The Mental Health Nurse Credential recognises the qualifications, skills, expertise and experience of nurses who are practicing as specialist mental health nurses. It demonstrates to employers, professional colleagues, consumers and carers that an individual nurse has achieved the professional standard for practice in mental health nursing. The Credential also increases awareness of the contribution mental health nurses make to the mental health of the community.
A Credentialed Mental Health Nurse is a specialist nurse who has demonstrated meeting the credentialing criteria in relation to:
- practice experience
- professional development, and
- professional integrity.
Credentialing and re-credentialing?
Even if your current credential has expired, please select Re-credentialing as you have already provided your qualifications when first credentialed.
Congratulations on taking the first step towards gaining personal recognition in mental health nursing as a Credentialed Mental Health Nurse. You do not have to be a member of the College to apply for credentialing, but you do need to be eligible to apply for credentialing.
Please note: your browser will open up in a new window and take you to the application site. You can also return to an uncompleted application from here.
To meet the requirements and standards for a Mental Health Nurse Credential, you must demonstrate that you:
- Hold a current registration as a Registered Nurse (Division 1), General with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia.
- Hold a recognised specialist mental health nursing qualification as specified in the C4N Qualification Framework and ACMHN Addendum.
- Have had at least 12 months experience since completing specialist mental health nursing qualification; or three years’ experience as a registered nurse working in mental health
- have been practising as a registered nurse in the area of mental health within the last three years. (i.e. Working a minimum of 12 weeks full time equivalent over the preceding 12 months or the equivalent length of experience over the preceding two years, or over the preceding three years) have undertaken continuing professional education, and practice development related activities in the area of mental health nursing in the previous 12 months.
- Have support from two professional referees who are familiar with your practice.
- Download all documents and resources for New Applicants (before you commence your online application you will need to download resources and complete all the necessary documents for your online application).
- When you are ready to apply, click on the Apply Online button to the left (which will open the C4N Online Portal).
- Create a C4N User Account (relevant to all ACMHN Members and Non-Members). Please note: this portal is not linked to your college membership login.
- Bookmark the C4N sign-in page to make it easier to return to an uncompleted application.