Forensicare provides a detailed reception mental health screening assessment for every prisoner received into custody at the Melbourne Assessment Prison (MAP) in Spencer Street West Melbourne; outpatient clinics to mentally ill prisoners within the prison; a 16 bed Acute Assessment Unit (AAU) which provides initial assessment and treatment to seriously mentally ill prisoners; an after- hours mental health crisis intervention service and consultancy and training services for prison and service staff on the treatment and management of male prisoners with mental health issues.
Forensicare is the statutory agency responsible for the provision of adult forensic mental health services across Victoria. Forensicare is situated across five sites across Victoria with its largest site being Thomas Embling Hospital, located in Fairfield just 15 minutes north of the Melbourne CBD. Thomas Embling Hospital is a 136 bed secure hospital providing acute care, rehabilitation and continuing care.
About The Role
The Associate Nurse Unit Manager (ANUM) works closely with the Nurse Unit Manager (NUM) to lead and coordinate the nursing team.
We are seeking applicants who have experience and knowledge in contemporary forensic mental health nursing practices and relevant legislation. You are passionate and patient-care orientated with well-developed communication skills and the ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with staff and other key stakeholders.
The role will involve:
- delivering consumer based mental health nursing interventions as well as coordinating the resources and processes required to maintain a high standard of patient care through effective clinical leadership.
- practicing within a recovery framework, using sound judgement to assess, plan, implement, evaluate and maintain a high standard of patient care.
- collaborating with the NUM, to support the team to
- work within organisational policies and procedures and professional standards
- promotes staff education and development
- participates in the training and supervision of nursing staff and students
- effectively managing resources on a shift and oversee the activities of the unit when the NUM is absent.
This is an excellent opportunity for Registered Psychiatric Nurses with an interest in management and service development to step into a leadership position
Mandatory qualifications and registrations
We value our staff and provide a range of employee benefits including:
- Great salary packaging conditions.
- Free onsite parking.
- Excellent leave entitlements.
- Post-graduate scholarship programs.
- Ongoing training and full orientation.
- Comprehensive Health and Wellbeing Programs including Employee Assistance Programs.
Forensicare is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to attracting and developing a diverse workforce which reflects the community we serve. We encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people who identify as LGBTQI, people with a lived experience of disability, as well as people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
Forensicare promotes the following values: responsiveness, integrity, impartiality, accountability, respect and leadership; and promotes behaviours that are consistent with these values. Forensicare is an equal opportunity employer and offers a smoke free environment.
Forensicare is the statutory agency responsible for the provision of adult forensic mental health services across Victoria.
Forensic mental health is a specialist area within the mental health service system. The services provided by Forensicare address the needs of offenders experiencing mental health issues, the mental health sector, the justice sector and the general community.