Clinical Nurse Consultant
- Part-time, Fixed-Term contract Clinical Nurse Consultant RPN5
- Based at Thomas Embling Hospital
- Diverse and supportive environments
About the organisation
A career in the forensic mental health sector is diverse, challenging and rewarding. A career at Forensicare will be like no other. If you’re passionate about supporting people in their mental health recovery, Forensicare is where you need to be. You will be a part of a caring and supportive team, making a real difference to people living with the dual stigma of mental illness and offending. We approach our work with curiosity and a commitment to understanding the unique needs of our consumers and carers. Working across community, hospital and prison settings, you can learn, apply your specialist skills and advance in your profession. Together, we can contribute to a more connected, compassionate mental health and criminal justice system.
About the location
Forensicare is the statutory agency responsible for the provision of adult forensic mental health services across Victoria.
Forensicare is situated across five sites across Victoria with its largest site being Thomas Embling Hospital, located in Fairfield just 15 minutes north of the Melbourne city centre. Thomas Embling Hospital is a 136-bed secure hospital providing acute care, rehabilitation and continuing care programs. It includes a dedicated women’s unit.
About the role
The Clinical Nurse Consultant: Reducing Restrictive Practices works in partnership with the Unit Manager and Senior Mental Health Nurse to engage with individuals and the team in the delivery of quality nursing care and to advance evidence based approaches to care, with specific intentions to improve practices to reduce the use of restrictive practices. The facilitation of practice development approaches can enhance clinical practice by developing team effectiveness and introducing new ways of working, enabling continuous improvement and providing a systematic approach to effect practice change.
- Provides high level clinical consultancy to the clinical teams in the assessment, planning and delivery of recovery focused nursing care of consumers on the inpatient unit.
- Collaborates with the NUM to address priority issues on the inpatient unit which are related to vulnerable and high-risk consumers presenting with complex needs.
- Holds substantial responsibility in the implementation of clinical frameworks such as; Safewards, mental health intensive care framework and reducing restrictive interventions on inpatient settings.
- Provides mentorship and positive role modelling to staff through the maintenance of high standards of professional ethics and clinical competence.
Qualifications and experience
- Postgraduate qualification in Mental Health Nursing or equivalent.
- Registration with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulations Agency (AHPRA).
- The successful candidate will be required to register their qualifications on eCredential.
A culture where people matter.
- Excellent supervision and investment in the skill development of managers and supervisors.
- Celebration and reward for good performance, through employee recognition.
- A leading, multi-faceted approach to safety, with unparalleled strategic, practical, individualised and team-based supports to minimise risks and fear and maximise safety and security, underpinned by our workplace health and safety strategy.
- Access to an employee assistance program – an external, confidential, self-referral employee wellbeing program, for personal or work-related matters.
- A mental health and wellbeing program providing psychological support, peer support and critical incidence response programs, as needed.
For more information on employee benefits visit the website.
Successful applicants will be required to provide evidence of three COVID-19 Vaccination prior to commencing work at Forensicare. Under the Victorian Public Health orders, all employees working within the Public Health system must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. All applicants will also be required to provide evidence of a flu vaccination.
Current Forensicare employees should apply through eRecruit using an account which is linked to their Forensicare email address and should contact People and Culture if they are unable to access their Forensicare eRecruit account.
Forensicare is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to attracting and developing a diverse workforce which reflects the community we serve. We encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people who identify as LGBTQI, people with a lived experience of disability, as well as people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds. Forensicare promotes our guiding principles of curiosity, purpose, strong ethics, compassion and fairness; and promotes behaviours that are consistent with these values at all times. Forensicare is an equal opportunity employer and offers a smoke free environment.
This position is subject to a Police Check.
Close date: 11 October 2022
Point of contact:
Job Ad Reference: 15630